20060730

Nice day for it...


I was very ill prepared for my first big training walk. After spending 6 weeks on crutches some thought attempting to do a 22km walk through the Sydney bush land may be madness. I now tend to agree.
Sure I thought I would only do the first 16km then wait for someone to come and pick me up, but at the 16km mark I felt fine. The day was stunning and I was in no pain.. apart from a slight hunger pain. Thinking that starting at 8:30am would have me finished by 1pm, I didn't pack any lunch. Bad move considering I ended up getting home at 6pm. Mental note: Pack a few bread rolls next time!

The last 6km of the walk was difficult. V.E.R.Y. Difficult. I haven't felt pain like that for many years. Breaking my foot was nothing compared to the pain I felt in my right knee climbing out of the gully straight up 275m. I hadn't counted on my right leg not being used to compensating for the left over the past 6 weeks. But in the end, I'm glad I pushed through and completed these two sections. It was the most difficult part of the 100km walk that I now only have 1 month to prepare for. I'm little more mentally prepared now for the BIG event.

No comments: