20070115

This is close to my heart...

something said here on H&B has made me want to comment, in depth.

Sometimes one incident or bad advice from a teacher can do more harm than good.

My Year 8 Art teacher crushed my desire to be an artist. He threw one of my assignments in the bin, in front of the class, and said "That's what I think of it!" From that point on I believed I was a crap artist and I chose not to follow through with art as a subject or possible career. But deep down, I've always had the desire to be creative. Growing up I seemed to be so happy when I was tracing, or potato stamping, or sculpting with mum's home made play-doh. My mum was a very talented painter and I loved watching her create things. But, my belief in my talent didn't exist thanks to that one incident at school. It wasn't until only about 10 years ago that I felt I should give it a go again.

Sometimes advice from our teachers can be so wise. However, the effect of one piece of un-wise advice can destroy someones potential. The best statement my parents ever said to me wasn't until later after school and after I had fumbled around trying to find a uni course that satisfied me. Mum said, "Of course we won't be disappointed... If it's right for you and if you believe in it then we will back you up all the way." That statement has stuck with me actually gave me the encouragement to eventually quit my job and become a full time designer.

I would love to find that art teacher today and say to him "Well, have YOU ever been exhibited in France or had your work tour some Modern Art Galleries in the USA in the past 12 months? No??? I have."

So hopefully, I've got the long post out of my system and we'll be back to pictures tomorrow. :)

5 comments:

KPB said...

I had an art teacher advise me perhaps it wouldn't be worthwhile me doing it as an elective.

I had an English teacher basically dis-allow me from taking 3-Unit English as I would pull down the grade average for the class.

So now I work as a writer. And am gearing up to be a novelis, or maybe a scriptwriter, or maybe a self-help book writer, or maybe a bit of all of them.

Now I'm doing my Masters in Creative Writing.

And have an itching need to pick up a sketch pad and some charcoal.

Steve said...

Yes, if what is in us and truely a part of us, of our true self, then I don't think it can be stiffled. It will come out one way or another. My mother painted most of her life, my sister writes art books, there's a creative gene in the family. I don't make a living from artwork as such but the way I do my job is involves setting the bit inside free to move as it will, without habitual or logical bonds. You can't make it happen, you just wait on the shore, to be taken, and it takes you, and you don't know you have gone until your back on the shore - but boy its a nice ride, and there's a bit more of the world that has been transformed from black and white to colour - thanks for sharing.

kookyknut said...

I was fortunate enough to have really supportive and talented art teachers in high school. I sometimes wonder where I'd be now if I'd studied art at university instead of starting an apprenticeship.

wwwoof said...

And not just art teachers! I was forced to do french in year 8 as that was all that was offered, I didn't do well with it, and my french teacher forced me into a remedial english class as the alternative, for people who had difficulty reading and writing. Despite my reading and other skills being way ahead of my year level!

Fast forward 20 years and I meet the french teacher again - I thank her for failing me in french as I now speak 5 languages other than english, and STILL don't speak french!

joanne said...

bloody teachers!! Good on you for getting there and sharing