20080315

Fortunes favour?

So I guess I'm superstitious. Earlier this week I went out to dinner and had dodgy Chinese. I love a meal in a tacky Chinese restaurant. It reminds me of my childhood when "going out to dinner" meant the family piling in the car and driving 3 suburbs away for the local Chinese restaurant.

I ordered the traditional Lemon Chicken and Sweet and Sour pork. And it was vile. Judo and I didn't even make it through half of the food before we both looked at each other with that look of "I'm going to be sick". There was more deep fried batter on the chicken than chicken itself... and it only tasted of oil. So anyway, here's my dilemma:

What am I supposed to do with the fortune cookie? You see, I've not had the most fortunate of fortnights, so I don't want to tempt fate by opening the cookie. It's still sitting there on my cupboard taunting me. My question is: Is the fortune valid only from the point when you crack it open, or is it your fortune, no mater what, from the moment you take possession of it, open or not?

All I can think about is an episode of Rocko's Modern Life where Filbert opens his fortune cookie and it reads "Bad luck and misfortune will infest your pathetic soul for all eternity".

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It could say: "Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery and Today is a Gift"

So crack it, be a strong boy and face destiny! ;)

TufNutts said...

i think you need to crack the cookie, otherwise you'll be left wondering what could have been. As for great Asian food, try Huong Huong at 228 Marrickville Rd Marrickville, great food, always fresh. No table cloths and sit where there is a spare seat. Very reasonably priced for the great food.

yani said...

The fortune is what it is, and not opening won't change what the words say... but until you read it you won't know whether it's good bad or indifferent... open a bottle of wine, beer or spirits of your choice and crack the fortune...

It'll probably be something useless like "Fortune favours the brave", or "Today is a good day for new business ventures"... ;)

wcs said...

You do know that fortune cookies were invented in California, right? As in Hollywood... make believe...

Toss that stale cookie, man.

Darth Gateau said...

destiny just is.
cookies just ain't.

Canberrabiker said...

Sounds like schroedinger's cat paradox.

I wouldn't open the cookie. That would collapse the probability wave !

http://www.lassp.cornell.edu/ardlouis/dissipative/Schrcat.html

Canberrabiker said...

or try this link instead:

http://www.lassp.cornell.edu/ardlouis/
dissipative/Schrcat.html

Adaptive Radiation said...

A chinese restaurant that hands out fortune cookies is probably a good one to avoid. Forget the fortune and find yourself a better chinese restaurant. Great blog btw.

Monty said...

Yeah, toss the cookie...get Darth to make you a batch of lovely cookies instead (though the whole issue of getting them from the UK to Oz is still troubling me).

All the best for the big move today mate!

kookyknut said...

open it, you wuss.

LBA said...

LOL - Rocko's Modern Life .. you really are a mixed bag, Muz ;)