20061211

One more for the road...

DSC02234
Sweeeeeeet Berry.
The ride down to Berry was very cool. There was a storm brewing on the horizon that I was keen to beat. The best part of this ride was between Kiama and Berry. The roads were smooth, curvaceous and free from traffic. It was so enjoyable to twist from one corner to the next at speed.

A dangerous game.
I love doing this, and I know I shouldn't... On the freeway between Marulan and Goulburn the big rigs were out in force. Being legally limited to 90km/h (yeah right!) the trucks speed down the hills and overtake me and then as they speed past I like to let them in front and ride so close to their tailgate that you get sucked along in their slipstream. It's dangerous, it's thrilling, it's a very cool feeling, and I know it's wrong.

Thank you and goodnight.
After lunch in Goulburn at the "stunning" Paragon Cafe we decided to leave the freeway and head the "back way" to Canberra. The weather was warm, I was tired and was kind of losing concentration. The ride was not the most interesting. It's amazing how dry the landscape is down that part of the country. The grassy hills were all looking the same golden brown... Next thing I know, my bike is shaking, I'm desperately trying to keep control of the bike. Microsleep. That's not a great thing to do at any time, but on a bike, yipes! I ran into some tree branches, flew back across the oncoming traffic lane to the other side still trying to control my bike, I smashed my foot onto another tree and then somehow re-gained control of the bike... all this within seconds and my speed not dropping below 80km/h and now I was wide awake. Luckily the roads were empty, because if they weren't, I was a goner. I'm still AMAZED that I have no injury other than a bruised foot and that UDE (my bike) was in one piece apart from tree sap splashed across the tank and the odd branch still wrapped around the instruments.

Bugs
I love Canberra. I have a feeling I may end up moving there one day. "That's madness!" I hear you all shouting! But, no, I really love this city. Every time I visit it just keeps getting better. On the road trip I experienced some of the roads and rides around the city. The scenery, while dry, is absolutely spectacular. The Brindabella's are stunning. On one of the rides I must have ridden through about 5kms of grasshoppers on the road. They were splatting against my boot as I road along at speed. It was actually very amusing. But it's the roads that impressed me this time. I could live here quite happily. All I need would be a small unit with a lock up garage and a big fish tank.





As Jamiroquai says
"This corner of the earth is like me in many ways..."
Dry, barren, desolate, empty, emotionless... ;) Judo, shall I go on?



DSC02272Snap Crackle and Pop
I visited Jervis Bay for the first time on Saturday. This place is like a small corner of the Garden of Eden. Naturally we rode to the little pristine beach called "Murray's Beach". There was a strong wind blowing across the bay and with it it brought in thousands of Blue Bottles. The water was so clear and tempting that I had to swim. Luckily the blue bottles were easy to spot on the surface and were easy to dodge. Judo and I rode squid in our boardies back to the Hotel in Huskisson. There's nothing like the feeling of zooming along on your bike without bulky protection. A word of advice for novice bike riders: This is a bad habit so don't do it. But I love it. Slap my wrist. Later that evening the tide had retreated and as we walked along the beach the thousands of bluey's that were washed up on the beach sounded amazing as they popped under foot. I love fossicking around rock pools when the tide is out.

More pics here.

2 comments:

kookyknut said...

sounds like you had just a LITTLE bit more fun than I did stuck behind my desk speaking to idiot clients. The scenery looks beautiful... it's so nice to get out of Sydney.

Boser Wolf said...

Ouch ! hope ya ok bud