20071128

Does this make me the Grandfather?

Nah, probably just a guardian. Well, not sure what was in the fish food this morning, but when I returned home from work there were a number of new additions to my fish tank that weren't there when I left. These new additions are in the form of tiny angel fish eggs.

They have been laid on the top of a leaf, smack bang in the middle of the tank. Now, in my small tank, that's probably not the best spot for them. You can tell that these are first time parents. The eggs are rather exposed and the other fish in the tank are not altogether very discerning eaters. In three days time there will be some very tiny tiny angel fish embryos wriggling around and entrapped within these tiny egg shells. Rather tasty morsels for the other fish. Hell, I'd be surprised if Mum and Dad don't even get temped to have a taste. But tonight, the proud parents are tending to the new clutch of eggs like adoring caretakers.

Actually, to be honest, I don't even know if I have a male and female fish here. If I don't have a pair then I'll know within 24 hours. If I have a male and female, then I should see some clear eggs with something like mini tadpoles inside attached to a big yoke. But if I have two females then the eggs won't be fertile and I'll have nothing but cheap caviar on the leaf.

Ahhh well, such is life in the small eco world of the fish tank. The survival rate is not very promising. But, from what I know, if they all get eaten, there is a good chance the parents will breed again within 3 weeks... assuming they are not lesbians.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo...give us a progress report in a few days please.

I once kept a White Tail Spider in a jar for several weeks, I called her Killer. She laid a pile of eggs and built this amazing web around then, only to eat the web and half the eggs three days. I decided to let free her back into the wild not long after that.

That would be around a year ago.

Killer, if your online reading this...I hope your well
and apologies for keeping you in a jar. You did provide my some educational moments, like the time I threw a baby huntsmen into the jar with you.


Marty

Darth Gateau said...

you must be so proud.
I'll start knitting little fin shaped booties tomorrow.
Or should I wait until hatching time?

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's so cool. Aren't Angelfish a little difficult to breed? You must be doing something very right there.

Monty said...

Ha ha ha! This is hilarious - Muzbot a grand-daddy!!! :-) You obviously are a good pet owner, as I would imagine that if they weren't particularly happy (or healthy), they wouldn't be laying eggs. Good luck with your expanding family! ;-)

Christerbjorn said...

I used to have lesbian Angel fish, they would lay eggs and they'd all be gone within a week. At the moment, I have a number of fan-tailed guppies. As I only set the tank up a few months ago, I got 4 to start with. When they survived, I got a few more. I didn't request specific sexes but like alot of species in the world, Males are very attractive and females are quite plain (A shame fish can't use makeup like their Human counterparts). There is 1 female and she has given birth to at lest 20 live young so from about 10 purchased fish I have 30 all of different sizes. Very cool and a cheap way to populate a tropical tank. Good luck, if the eggs germinate, you should get a breeding net to protect the young and increase fish numbers.
McDreamy

Anonymous said...

good luck with the offspring!!!!

look forward to hearing of their progress

KPB said...

I know I should be all oohs and aahs, but it just kinda creeps me out.

Go figure.

T said...

We had yabbies in a fish tank that spawned about a thousand tiny eggs : then the adults ate all but about 3 up and only one lasted to adolescence before dieing.

Eventually released the adults into Centennial Park ponds.