20071203

Not bad for a monday.

Today was one of those days that had the potential to be really bad, but actually turned out to be quite good.

Work was good. I had a nice lunch with Judo and bought a needle so I can finally pump up my very flat basketball. Created a new header for this blog quickly, but really like the results. I really liked the movie The Iron Giant so this is my Giant inspired header.

After work I met up with a mate from London who had just flown in to Sydney today for work. Good effort on his behalf for staying awake during the conversations over a couple of beers. I know how hard it is sometimes to partake in conversations when you're very jet lagged.

Then on my walk home I passed under the bridge and stopped and looked at the community notice board. There was an ad for the local Rollerblade group and for a dude who gives tuition in blading for new comers. This reminded me that I had a pair of blades at home that have really never been used other than around an underground carpark many years ago. So I thought "why not?!" I dumped my stuff at home, quickly got changed into some dags, grabbed the blades and wandered down to the foreshore of the Harbour. The foreshore of the harbour has a nice boardwalk and path around it that also crosses the bridge to the city side.

Here's a couple of tips and words of advice from this skilled Rollerblader:
  • Don't ever overestimate your own skill!
  • Starting on a downhill section is not the best place to start if you haven't used rolerblades for many many years.
  • Applying the brake is a skill that should be mastered before going downhill.
  • Light posts make excellent crash barriers.
  • Light posts are not flexible or soft.
  • Make sure no one saw you get very close and personal to said light post.
  • Do this late at night when it's reasonably quiet.
  • Rollerblade wheels and wooden boardwalks don't mix right after rain.
  • Just when you think you can pull off that big 360 turn in style, you won't.
  • When you fall, again, try to do it in a less conspicuous place not like into the fence of a well lit fun park such as Luna Park.
  • Finish up with a few bruises and a big smile on your face for getting out there and giving it a go and making a goose of yourself by having some fun.

9 comments:

Darth Gateau said...

I had a similar experience over the weekend. I used to ice-skate every week but haven't set a foot (or blade) on ice since I was about 14. I went skating in the Tower of London moat - how cool is that?!
Some tips of my own...

You forget how easy it used to be soooo quickly.
Ice is actually quite wet.
A wet behind can be easily forgotten when you have a glass full of hot wine in your hand.

Anonymous said...

You look like you worked up a bit of sweat there too! I've often wanted to give rollerblading a go because I used to love roller skating as a teen. I now live in the burbs and blading really is not an option. (That, plus trying to find time to do spontaneous stuff like that when you've got kids) You've got a top location there for it.

Monty said...

Muz, you are just Mr Go Out and Do It - you're an inspiration! I used to rollerblade thrice weekly when I lived near Centennial Park and loved it! But that's been a few years ago now. My blades were stolen shortly after moving to the Nth Shore. You rock!!!

T said...

I was going to suggest " Don't do this after alcohol" but may be the beers helped you relax !

Muzbot said...

Drath: Ice skating in the moat? Do they fill it with water and freeze it?

Crystal: It was humid.

Monty: I think you might be overstimulated at the moment, but thankyou for the kind words. :)

TC: I can't blame any of my actions on alcohol last night. I had only two beers much earlier in the night and was rather sober.

Anonymous said...

I must say Master Muzbot when you said you had to return to work, I was impressed.. but to roller blade after 2 beers? You Austraaalian Men.. too godamn butch for your own good.

Muzbot said...

Anon: Ahhh, the touch of sarcasm to you comment ammuses me. Now you can see why I choose to do it under the cover of night. :)

KPB said...

The Iron Giant is classic animation that never got a bit sell in Australia. I am very impressed you know of it and very happy with this interpretation of it.

Anonymous said...

Muzbot,

Have I ever told you the story of the bunny boiler who took me out rollerblading, got me all hot and sweaty and then took me home to her's so that I could shower ... only to introduce me to her father who asked me what my intentions were.

The story only get creepier from there. She went on to become a dentist and I am hoping that I NEVER get the 'opportunity' to end up in her dentists chair.

I wasn't a big fan of rollerblading, but it has put me orf for life.