20061108

Sequencing and smearing....

sounds like something you'd do at a trashy dance party. But it wasn't. It was what I learnt tonight at climbing.
Sequencing is a technique of alternating left and right grips to enable a further reach sideways. Smearing was a technique where, if there aren't any foot holds, you get a strong grip with your fingers and then use your feet against the bare wall to move up. It requires further practice from me.

There's something very un-natural about "walking" up a vertical wall. But smearing is a very handy technique to know. I'm now starting to get a greater appreciation for those dudes and dudettes who get out there and do this stuff up a cliff face.

The other exercise we did tonight was to climb up the wall with one hand behind our back. Yep, only one hand. It wasn't easy. Half way up we had to swap hands and continue using only the other hand. I would say I got three quarters through this one before I couldn't go any further. Kookyknut had just as much luck as me on this one...

No comments: