20070208

The Coast Walk...

What a great way to spend 3 days. My mate Kookyknut and I caught the ferry from Cronulla to Bundeena then hiked from one end of the Royal National Park to the other. The walk takes in some magnificent views, beaches, marsh flats and climbs up some very tall escarpments.

DSC02416

DSC02438
DSC02439
DSC02443
DSC02447
We packed enough food and water for three days, however, after the first day it seems that we may have only packed enough water for 2 days. We didn't count on some of the walk being difficult and hard work with two fully laden packs. It was hot and we were drinking the water very quickly. So, after breaking camp on the first night we were conservative on the water. Unfortunately, the water in the park is not suitable for drinking. Luckily the walk to camp 2 was shorter, only about 6kms.

The second night saw a line of storms blow in. Usually when camping, you don't really look forward to storms. There was one point during this second night where I began to imagine all the nice food and drink I could be having back at home and I was nearly temped to call Judo to come in and drop off a big bottle of Gatorade and a pizza... We had numerous pots, pans and plates out to capture as much water as possible. The rain water was sweet and we had more than enough to continue our walk in the morning well rested and hydrated.

I really enjoyed this walk. It was challenging in parts and absolutely stunning in others. I have put some pics up on Flickr. Here's a brief explanation of the pics on the left from top to bottom:
1. Us at the start of the walk. We'd actually already walked about 2-3km's from the ferry at Bundeena to get to this "official" start of the walk. I was so very hot and sweaty already.
2. A view near the start of the walk. Looking south towards Marley Head. Marley Head was the halfway point on day one.
3. Storm brewing...
4. Looking out of the tent at Nth Era camp ground (camp 2). Just after the first storm had passed through. I love the colours of evening storms.
5. Sunrise this morning. There are some very nice beaches and rock platforms that are only accessible by doing this walk. This was right out the front of our camp ground on day two.
6. The view back north at the end of the walk. In the far distance you can see Marley Head from photo #2.

What a great way to end an enjoyable holiday from work.

7 comments:

Jacey Blue said...

Beautiful photos!

KPB said...

you're hairless and you look fantastic. The rest is incidental.

Bec said...

that walk is on my Things To Do When Kids Are Big Enough Not To Be Carried list. For sure.

LBA said...

Stunning pics !
Awesome.

LBA said...

P.S. - have wanted to reply personally for some of the lovely comments you have left on my blog .. but the 'new blogger' doesn't provide email addies with comments.

It makes me feel bad when people say such lovely things, and I can't even thank them personally ;)

Muzbot said...

Ah Kim, if only that were true.

Bec: Believe me, you don't want to be carrying anything other than what you really need on that walk. It's hard enough walking on sand at the best of times, but a few kms of it is a killer on the legs. Mind you, my calf muscles look nice and cut now :)

Jacey and H&B: Thanks. I only wish I had taken some more pictures.

Monty said...

Sensational pics!!! You've got an eye for composition! Spectacular! And I do agree with Kim, you look good shaved! ;-)