20070225

It was hot, humid, cold and wet...





and that was the weekend that was.
Judo and I rode down to Canberra on Friday night because we had an early start on Sat morning helping out on an AROC (Adventure Race Outdoor Challenge).
I've wanted to do one of these races for about two years now, but have kind of lacked the confidence to actually just put myself out there to compete in an actual race. Well, this weekend I agreed to help out and be a race official and was set up at some of the Transition Areas. It gave me a first hand look at some of the competitors and what an actual course comprised of. There were people from all sorts of fitness levels. Some didn't complete the race, some just had fun and others competed very seriously. Picture #1 is of the teams registering. Picture #2 is my first transition area. The teams of three picked up their bikes here for the first mountain bike leg in the race. I was on my motorbike, as was Judo, so we managed to have fun riding in our shorts and official T-shirt between the start, transition areas, Australian Institute of Sport, and the finish. Storms were brewing late in the arvo, so we decided to pack up and head home. On our way out of Canberra we seemed to be heading straight towards some intense lightning breaking through the black clouds. We pulled in to Golburn and had a snack at the Paragon (Picture #3). While we were inside the heavens opened up and bucketed down. We decided not to go any further and spent the night there.

We wandered the streets of Goulburn and went to the Hibernian pub (The Hybo) for a few beers. Steve, if I had some contact details on me I would have called you to say hi.
We woke this morning to more dark grey (Picture #4), but Judo had to be back in Sydney by lunchtime so we pressed on... and got wet and it was very cold as we passed through the Southern Highlands. The ride down through Macquarie Pass was a bit hairy as the roads were wet, slippery and the visibility was not ideal as we rode on through the mist. But I loved being out on the bike.
So, I had a great weekend.

-----
*I've just noticed that this post looks crap on a pc. It looks much better on my mac.

3 comments:

Monty said...

Awesome! You were out in the weather! Sensational! Sounds like you had a good time. Glad you made it home in one piece! LOL

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great adventure!!

Look forward to seeing pics of you in a future race.

Steve said...

No worries mate, would have been nice to see you, oh well we, would have touched Auras - or maybe we already do. Lets here it for the Mac!