20070203

Sometimes a day turns out to be so very unexpected.






On Wednesday I discovered a new Japanese restaurant that I hadn't been to before for lunch on Oxford St. So, Thursday I decided to go back there for lunch again to try something new from their menu. While I was sitting there waiting for my order to arrive a mate of mine walked in to try this same restaurant for his first time. I called him over to join me and we talked about what we had planned for the next few days. Me, I had nothing much to do other than relax because I'm on holidays. He was heading to Melbourne in 2 hours for work. He asked if I wanted to go with him. My brain went "No way, I couldn't do that". A few bites of a new Japanese curry dish later and my brain was saying "Go on... I dare you to go!"

I finished off my lunch and called Qantas to see if there were any seats left on his flight (now scheduled to leave in an hour and a half). There was.

I quickly threw a few t-shirts into a bag, called a few mates to let them know I was off and before I knew it I was on my way to my favorite city in Australia yet again.

Melbourne continues to be a city that just seems to have its shit together. And each time I go there she reveals to me a side of her that, even though I knew was there, I had yet to experience. This trip Melbourne was even more creative than usual and she showed me a playful sexy side to her. Ahhh Melbourne. So much to offer a lad like me.

I love the way she delights the ears and eyes. She teases the taste buds. She introduces you to new sensations and above all, she does it in a friendly atmosphere. Every time I go there I discover something new. For me, discovering and experiencing is living.

6 comments:

LBA said...

OOoooh - where'd'ya go, what'd'ya do ?

Muzbot said...

The Creative: One of the highlights of the trip would have had to be the visit to the "Eyes Lies & Illusions" exhibition at the acmi. And, although not to everyone’s taste, I’m a big fan of street art and stencilling, so the “City Lights Projects” were cool to discover…

The Food: I sampled a few Japanese food places along the Causeway or maybe it was one of those other great laneways in the centre of town. I also had a VERY expensive average steak sandwich in one of these laneways too. Stayed out Collingwood way and had a great dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant (there seems to be many there, so I can't remember the name) and the food was so tasty and unlike any other I had tried. Real smokey flavour san choy bow thingy, some tasty beef and taro balls and some mains that included an unusual crispy steak dish.

The Sexy: Best left unsaid. But I enjoyed that after-party. *evil cheeky grin*

LBA said...

Heh. I used to live in C'wood. Near the Trade Bar, and around the corner from the Peel.

I used to like eating at the Wild Yak, which is Tibetan, and where the Dalai Lama ate when he was in town.

I miss Victoria St Vietnamese from over that way. *Sigh*

Steve said...

Walking through Rome over the past few days I did have to remind myself, at times, that I was not in Melbourne. Plenty of good coffee there mate.
I wanted to be the first to comment on your blog from Italy. Tuscany is so beutiful and oh the food, the food. Staying here for a few days www.tenutadiseripa.com

wwwoof said...

Glad you enjoyed it Muzz :) Having lived here for quite a while I can assure there are a lot of surprises that even I continue to discover! To find them you have to follow your nose and always take a wrong turn.

In terms of cafes and restuarants it is pretty much impossible to find a bad one; 9 out of 10 they are way above average. Service wise they also outstrip the other cities I have visited in Australia and I do admit we are spoilt by it. I have a short temper for the low quality food and service I get in other cities, now that Melbourne is the benchmark.

You probably know that Melbourne and Vancouver often tie for the most liveable cities in the world. This is a bit offensive because the survey really only looks at issues that the upper middle classes care about - quality of home purchase housing; access to good quality schools; culture; food etc. They ignore the burdens faced by those on lower incomes, because the poor get rooted in every country, it's just a question of relativity about how rooted. However knowing both cities well, Melbourne wins out on food and culture, and Vancouver does on physical beauty.

Also being a resident of Sydney part time, I am not Melbourne-centric! Sydney's sheer physical beauty from coasts to harbour to mountains is only tempered by the relentlessness of its suburbs - Melbourne has none of that physical beauty, but it does have a lot more suburbs than Sydney that are pretty much ok. I often wonder whether Melbourne's cafe and restaurant culture is a lot better than Sydney's because the weather sucks and we HAVE to spend time inside doing something else! At least in Sydney we have great beaches and the weather to enjoy it! Melbourne beaches suck! Pity we cant have the best of both cities.

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed your time in Melbourne. Like h&b I am intrigued by your sexy exploits!!!

But I keep mine to myself, so would be unreasonable to push you on the matter...

um, well, could you give us a little glimpse of it??? Maybe in a video blog :D