20070318

Another great weekend...




This weekend I managed to get up to the mountains for a bit of exploration. I went for a very damp walk to see Wentworth Falls. It was beautiful. I love the mountains when they are shrouded in cloud and mist. The temperature had dropped considerably making it cool as well. It was great sitting at Wentworth Falls watching the clouds form as the wind seemed to race across the valley and up the escarpment. Very beautiful. Unfortunately our plans to go right to the base of the falls to find a goecache were foiled by these conditions and the fact that National Parks had closed a few of the tracks.

So, instead, we decided to head to Katoomba to do some more bush walking. I'd never actually had a go on the mountain railway or the Scenic Cableway so this was a good day to do it. Well, actually, it probably wasn't the best day considering that every thing was hidden by mist. However, the walks around this part of the world were enjoyable and I got to see my first Lyrebird in the wild. This little critter seemed to have no fear of humans and went about his scratching search for worms without paying any attention to me. The heavy rain continued and it made the forest come alive with some beautiful sounds. I will return here on a fine day sometime.

Sunday was another good day. I started the day with a run around the National Park adjacent to the harbour and Balgowlah. (Need to get serious if I plan to compete in another race in 5 weeks time!) I'm so unfit. But, it was a great place to run with some amazing views. Then came back to The Alex and picked up my bike for a ride up to Wiseman's Ferry. Was a great ride. Even getting lost provided a good opportunity to discover even more of this city that I had no idea existed. However, I was tired, losing concentration and the rain was coming back, so we cut the journey short and headed back home.

No comments: