20070301

This is just too weird, even for me...

How often has a bird fallen from the sky and missed hitting you by 2-3 feet? I'd say not many. Well, in the last 6 weeks it has happened to me 3 times. And every time it has been a pigeon that has landed with the most horrible of sound. It's freaky. Not in living memory can I ever think of birds just falling dead, or almost dead, from the sky.
The first time it happened to me I was walking down the Brisbane mall. It landed with a sort of muffled crunch/plop. Scared the crap out of me. I'd say it missed me by less than a foot. It flapped it wings twice and I quickly jumped away from it. Then, as it struggled to lift itself up, a crow swooped in and attacked it... rather brutally.
The second time I was with a mate sitting outside a cafe in Glebe and that same crunch/plop sound happened in between my seat and the people sitting behind me. It flapped once then moved no more. Dead as.
The third time was this arvo on my walk home from work. Plop. Within a few steps of me stepping on it. It didn't move at all after it hit the footpath.
Why are birds falling from the sky near me every couple of weeks? Huh?! WHY?...
I'm currently working on a weird nuclear energy emanating from my body theory.
Any other suggestions?

7 comments:

A Table For Two said...

is a sign..... no flying on airplace for at least 3 motns for you! :P

wwwoof said...

I read that in Europe if a bird shats on you that's good luck - but having one aim for you with its whole body is just carelessness on your part! LOL.

Monty said...

It's ironic that you have two birds (OK, they're kingfishers by the looks of things) on your new Blog banner - next time we log in, there may only be one left, given your success at destroying wildlife! ha ha! ;-)

Boser Wolf said...

Gee Willikers Radioactive Man !!

perhaps some one has put a curse on you?

Steve said...

Perhaps we could look at it from the animal's point of view and ask “what can I do for the bird?” If its dead can I pick it up and put it respectfully in a bin or bury it. If its very severely injured and still alive (I hate this one) do I dispatch it or take it to a vet to do it humanely, or pay an amicable vet to treat it?. mmmm difficult, what of I was the bird?
Turtles are often crossing the road to the coast. My routine now is, stop the car, pick it up, and drive it to the next creek with water in it. If it has been run over WIRES vets can glue the shell together and apparently their often fine. I haven’t had to dispatch a half dead one yet. I fear that time, will I just drive by it, turn a blind eye, no one will know. What if I was the turtle? Mmmm difficult.

FireHorse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FireHorse said...

That is the weirdest fuckin' story I've ever heard. You win hands down mate. "In the last 6 weeks..." LOL.

You could have been on that TV show 'That's Incredible'. I suggest you buy a lottery ticket before your luck runs out and maybe you should walk around with your new bike helmut on at all times.

Oh,and watch out for falling cranes!