20070323

Moving on...

Things I won't miss:
  • Transport trucks heading past my bedroom from Port Botany, starting at 5am every morning
  • The two women in pyjamas at 5pm in the local IGA arguing over who will get the larger maintenance payment from the same man.
  • The constant rain of leaf litter and bird poo dropping from the tree in the backyard
  • The heat from the afternoon summer sun in my bedroom
  • The overcrowded train platforms
  • The large unavoidable potholes in the street that scare the crap out of me when I'm on my bike.
  • The poor variety of breakfast options on weekends
  • The bakeries with pigeons nesting in them (on the ovens!)
  • The toilets in the local chicken bar that double as a cheap crack house
  • The re-enactment of scenes from Jerry Springer being played out on the streets
Things I will really miss:
  • The local pubs
  • My huge living space
  • The cheap eats
  • The big nearby parks and tree lined streets
  • The Greek barber who I never understood a word he said
  • The ease of riding to so many good places close by
  • Newtown and Erko
  • Trivia nights
  • Those tasty fresh Vietnamese rice paper rolls from the dodgy restaurant.
  • My friends being so close

5 comments:

Monty said...

Blues Point Rd, McMahons Point - and Kiribilli have some great food...ok, wouldn't classify them as "cheap eats", but stil... and Crows Nest aint half bad for food! And now you can WALK the bridge to work every morning!!! Welcome to the Nth Shore

Steve said...

mmmm change. (D&M alert, its a long one)

Generally as humans we tend to rests it, or may be its just me. We don’t like to be separated from something we like or feel comfortable with, the familiar thing. The uncomfortable thing about change is the separation between me and the nice thing, its like a death, its unavailable to me from now on, so a bit of us grieves for the loss in a way. Change can be exiting when we are moving up in the world of course, but as you have said Muz we often have mixed emotions.
The childish way we deal with change is to hate the old thing, colour it grey, emotionally distort the past and imagine it or him or her to be undesirable, then we feel we don’t have to suffer loss, “good riddance”. Hate creates the space and a repelling energy that separates. It’s bloody uncomfortable.
I was talking to a fiend about this the other day, its hard to explain, she came up with the idea of looking at change as accruing experience, of including, of my being, or what ever it is inside, encompassing more. Maintain the connections, not in a grasping way but maybe by not cutting off, just because of physical distance or my ratty mood. Its like the feeling of being connected with a loved one wether they are sitting next to you, holding your hand or away at work. Its sort of the assured state of mind to know they not away, but you don’t own them. The two are a bigger one thing. I saw a butterfly the other day its colour struck me, it got right inside me. It was 2 days ago but a still feel it in me. It hasn’t died in me yet. So maybe if all our experiences are neither chucked out because we hate ‘em or strangled in our grasp for fear of loss, maybe if we leave them to live inside, know them to be there like the absent love, we become bigger or wiser or something and life is less about stops and starts, beginnings and ends, life and death but some sort of evolving, enriching continuation. Its all still available, its in me. Thanks for sharing.

LBA said...

I still miss my Viet.
It's not the same 'on this side of town'

But there's other things that make up for the losses, and like your IGA/Jerry Springer freaks, I don't miss the streetfreaks and creeps.

Life is a forward journey.
Please remind me of this when I start falling apart on an 'old people' level ;)

FireHorse said...

You are about to start a new chapter in life. It sounds exciting. So now you'll have to cross the bridge to see your friends. You've got a bike.

I agree with Steve that this is not about physical distance but it is an emotional state. Change is unsettling and it's ok to have these feelings. Good luck mate.

I've currently got a spider on my balcony and I get joy from watching it. I need to meet someone like Steve.

seymour said...

happy house warming... (lucky smiley)
dont forget your old 'hood chums - you're always welcome back for tea and hugs handsome.