20070303

Speaking of weird...




My weekend so far has involved large crowds. Last night I headed to the rugby at Aussie Stadium. The season wasn't off to the best start for the Waratahs. The game was nothing more than sloppy. The final score was 16 all. The Western Force should not have got close, but we fumbled, lost possession, kicked too much, collapsed scrums and had too many bad reffing decisions go against us. Grrrr. But I love going to the rugby so it was a fun night.

Today I bought myself a new bike helmet. It's actually one of the really good ones. I decided I needed something a bit more robust now that I'm becoming a fully licensed rider this coming week. There's another reason too, but more on that later in the week.

While I was in the bike shop I got a call from a mate of mine who asked me what I was up to and if I was free if I could help him out. "Sure. How?" Well, I didn't see this coming, but within the hour I was heading to volunteer and help support an entry in the Mardi Gras parade.

We had a huge hire van we were to drive behind the boys on bikes in case one of them broke down and needed to be carted away. What an eye opener. I felt a little uncomfortable but I was there in the thick of this amazing uniquely Sydney event. I got to see how well things were run behind the scene and got to see a parade from the "inside" of the fences.
There were thousands upon thousands of people. All cheering and laughing (mostly laughing I think) at the guys and girls in the parade. As the lads pulled into the centre of Taylor Square, in front of the very large screen, I sprung into action. We had one down. So while thousands cheers us on, we pulled the plank out of the van and pushed the bike up into the back and were off to catch up with the rest of the bikers.

The whole parade was over for me within less than half an hour from starting and I was probably home before the last float had even crossed the finish line. I'm starting to enjoy this volunteering caper. I'm now realising how import a good support crew is to the success of events.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Good on ya mate, I reckon being able to put your self out for others is a really great thing. Looks like you had a geart time too. Volunteering gets us out of the way of limiting our care only to the people we know. And also my own stuff looks clearer and lighter when I’ve given it a rest and put someone’s needs above my own crap for a while. I like the idea where I feel I want to do for the other as much as they want for themselves, put myself in their shoes. Then when the jobs done we are both winners, I was doing what I wholeheartedly wanted anyway. Now my only trouble is can I do it without needing a big thank you at to end or just because it was the right thing to do?

Bazbear said...

Bloody Warratahs and the Chiefs stuffed me in the work sweepstake this week. Bloody draws. Even my team the Hurricanes lost. A total disaster.

Your time at the parade sounds like fun. I always enjoyed myself driving the truck for the bear float. Good on you. Maybe next year you will be riding :):):)

Have a good week

Monty said...

Ha ha! So you got to Mardi Gras eventually! Good on you mate!

Single Guy said...

Thanks for helping behind the scenes! Hope you had a good one!

A Table For Two said...

hey, didn't see you there! I was shooting the whole parade at Taylor Square. Would be funny to see u in action pushing bikes!