20070823

The Matterhorn... a haiku

Again face to face
Sitting on your chocolate box
Forever in mind

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _




Here are some interesting facts:
  • Feared by early mountaineers it wasn't first climbed until 1865

  • Borders Switzerland and Italy

  • By modern standards the climb is still rated AD (assez difficile, fairly difficult)

  • The individual pieces of Toblerone form it's likeness

  • Homer Simpson has climbed its Springfield cousin the "Murderhorn"

  • The "Hornli route" is the most popular route to the summit

  • An ascent will take 3 days on average

  • Each year several climbers lose their life climbing this mountain

  • It is still my dream to climb along the summit ridge of this beautiful mountain

And so, training for my assault on this trophy mountain continues. Slowly my fitness is improving. I'm measuring two runs a week. You can see in the graph below there is a gradual increase in distance I'm achieving each run. Don't laugh too hard at these small distances and Ok, I'm not running a marathon, but for someone who couldn't/wouldn't even run a lap of the school oval I'm happy with my progress. Will I be experienced and confident to attempt this next year? At this stage, no. But, it's there - as my dream, my goal and my desire.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to hate running at school too. Sure I'd play sport, but it was just the whole running around the oval that shitted me. I used to wag sports carnival days and sneak off to Seaworld instead.

Campbell said...

Good on you Muz! It's great to have a goal and this is an impressive one. Next year's a long way off, well December next year is a long way off! Much can happen between now and then in terms of your running!
...and other things too....

Monty said...

I just think it's great that you've set yourself a lofty goal and are determined to achieve it! Good on you! And we look forward to hearing your progress mate!

Sh@ney said...

There is no stopping the will power of the courageous! I say it is wonderful that you are out there doing it, unlike so many who spend most of the time just thinking about it. (Looks at self)
Bravo to you & keep it going! xoxox