20070606

I'm in love...

with Switzerland.
Last night I did a small trek around the mountain lake town of Lurgano. It was peaceful, clean and very scenic.
Today I journeyed to the town of Brig. This too is a beautiful Swiss town. From there I boarded the "Glacier Express" and headed to Zermatt. I caught another mountain train from there up to the hotel. It has the most amazing views of the Matterhorn. It is the highest hotel in Europe and well worth the trip here. The temperature today down in the town was a beautiful summer 29. Now, outside, it's snowing and probably close to 0.
The Matterhorn is very close. I feel like I could just wander across the glacier and climb it. But, running accross the glacier is probably not the smartest thing to do when the summer heat is slowly melting the snow away. You can really get an aprecieation for Global Warming here. I passed a glacier today that used to span a valey and now is just a small outcrop of ice way up a hill. It's like seeing something old and ancient slowly passing away. A great loss. It really does make me feel sad.

1 comment:

Monty said...

Sigh! Sounds fabulous Muz!