20070608

Still having fun...

IMG_2178
Some things I've been learning:

Sleeping at altitude is not easy. In fact it's damn hard. It saps your energy, you feel very dehydrated and when you manage to grab 15 minutes of sleep you wake up gasping.

Walking through the Alps is a risky business. Today we trecked across a ridge from one glacier to another and when a rock flies by at terminal velocity it whistles and makes a huge "crack" sound when it hits something.

Glaciers are so freakin cool! Hard to get to, but when you've climbed down the valey to it's boulder strewn flume and finally step onto it, it is just a very humbling feeling. The thing is alive. It cracks, boulders tumble without warning and it is a very beautiful colour.

A glacier is hard... Very hard. I was amazed at how solid it was when I stepped onto it. The ice is so compacted it is hard and sharp as glass. Crevisis are deep and blue. When it moves it sounds like thunder. It's a living dinosaur.

This is a very thrilling place. There is an adventure around every corner. I've even had a chance to put some of my climbing skills to actual use. This is my playground!

I've so much to say, but so little time here. I'll have heaps of stories to share when I return home. Tomorrow I leave my Alpine adventure behind and head to Spain for the next race.

IMG_2219

IMG_2311

4 comments:

Monty said...

Cool Cool Cool Mr! Sounds like you are having a blast!!! Enjoy the warmer weather in Spain!

Anonymous said...

Hay Murray - Hope you are doing well, sounds like you are having a blast...the photos are spectactular [as usual of course!] ETHAN

Anonymous said...

Everything you wrote in this post scared the crap out of me...

( Non-High-Risk-Adventure-Taker-who-hates-Being-Cold ;)

Darth Gateau said...

Italy, Switzerland, Spain. So global, so glamorous. Hope you're having a splendid time!