20070617

Just call me Larry...

"Happy as" that is.

I'm back and I have had some amazing times in the past few weeks. Every one of my 7 senses have been stimulated to overload.

Vision: The beautiful facial features of the Spanish.
Hearing: The engines rev sent goose pimples all over my body like nothing else ever has. The sound of a small car sized boulder slide off the side of a glacier as it smashs into smaller pieces and shards of ice explode outwards from where it hit.
Touch: The firm feeling of compressed ice from a glacier between my teeth as I bit into a piece of chipped off ice. The feeling of old cobble stones uneven beneath my feet as I wandered medieval streetscapes.
Taste: Where to start? The flavor of that sauce on my chicken dish in Paris. The olives in Rome, so buttery, so melt in the mouth unlike any olive I have ever tasted. The sweet San Miguel beer in that bar in Florence. The coffee...
Smell: The smell of motorbikes en mass. The alpine wild flowers that smelt like sherbet. The constant smell of Dog Shit in Valencia. The smell of crisp cold mountain air. The smell of food cooking on the streets of Hong Kong.
Balance: The symmetry of old ruins. The feeling of looking over the edge of a vertical cliff thousands of metres high. Trying not to slip on a snowy path.
Kinesthesia: Moving hand and foot together in rhythm to climb down a thin wire ladder where one wrong step or slip would result in falling hundreds of meters onto crumbling boulders.

I'm not the most worldly traveled person around, but I manage to learn more about myself and my surroundings every time I go away. And every time I go away I know how much I love Sydney and how nice it is to come home to my own bed.

So, if you have a few moments spare and want to look at some of my adventures, I have uploaded some pictures to a Flickr set here.

4 comments:

KPB said...

There is something of infinite comfort knowing you are back. :) K

Monty said...

Who's that cute unshaven dude in front of the eiffel tower??? Oh wait, it's you! lol Welcome back Muz!

Campbell said...

Welcome back Muzbot! I had a dream about you last night - must have been telling me you were back!!
Great pics. It was good for me to see some of the HK pics as the fog was so thick when I was there last November that I couldn't see anything.

A Table For Two said...

Welcome back, time gone quick. Seems like you just gone like yesterday and now you are home.

Had a quick browse of your pics, obviously u had a fantastic time. Happy for you, now I need to find a way to go out and see the world myself. :P